Rama Modified GBS8200 RGB to VGA Converter (2020) [Completed]June 8, 2020
Purchase from Tindie: Tindie store
What is it?
An improved GBS8200 RGB to VGA converter board. These boards are mediocre quality in their original design; but with the included modifications, they compete with the legendary ‘Micomsoft Framemeister Mini’ for around 10% of the cost!
This modified design includes:
- Rear facing VGA/DSUB input, so all your cabling can be at the rear of unit.
- Recessed VGA to HDMI output, with onboard USB power supply.
Note that if you do not add the VGA to HDMI adapter option, the DSUB will still be included, and you can add the adapter yourself at later date. The case to the adapter is removed to make more clearance.
All orders come with a clockgen modification as well for the ultimate unit. The Clockgen modifications correct minor screen tearing that some people have encountered in specific system configurations.
What makes it unique?
This modification adds an ESP8266 wireless module, pre-programmed with the source code written by “ramapcsx2”, such that all video settings occur through a web-based interface. This code makes the GBS8200 lagless which is perfect for retro-gaming.
You can learn about the gbs-control project on GitHub
This system keeps all the base qualities of the gbs8200:
- Ability to balance the amplitude of the three primary color signals - R, G, B
- Supports CGA/EGA/VGA/YUV Component Signal Input
- Supports VGA Output (640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1360 x 768)
- CGA/EGA/VGA signal auto scan (15KHz, 24KHz, 31KHz)
- YUV Component signal auto scan (480i, 576i, 720i, 1080i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080p)
- Supports image position control and image zoom control
- True digital 24-bit A/D converter for true 16.7-million color conversion.
- Supports many VGA monitors (CRT, LCD, PDP, Projector, etc.)
Unit comes entirely pre-assembled, ready to plug and play.
- 1x New gbs8200 board
- 1x Mini NodeMCU, loaded with firmware
- 1x External clock generator
- 1x 3mm acrylic black bottom layer
- 1x 3mm acrylic clear top layer
- 1x 100ohm resistor mod between sync and ground
- 1x 22uF Nichicon electrolytic cap mod (for versions that require it)
- 1x Set of instructions
- 4x Rubber grip feet under unit
- 1x 5V Power Supply (Type A NEMA), by the highly regarded Triad Magnetics
Type A power supply outlet is used in Americas, Thailand, China and Japan; thus power outlets from other regions will require a travel adapter or different PSU (not included).
VGA to HDMI Output Adapter You can add a third party VGA to HDMI adapter for HDMI screens. This is a pretty good adapter with extremely minimal lag video conversion to HDMI. It plugs into the VGA output port of the GBS8200. The HDMI adapter also has a 3.5mm audio input jack so that audio will be injected into the HDMI video signal.
Acrylic Case Only Alternatively if you just want the case, standoffs, and screws, that is available too!
These were the original product design photos, before being revamped in 2021…. They are included here for historical reasons =]