Flashing a GBS Control (GBSC) without ArduinoJanuary 30, 2022
Download both the open source flasher utility and the pre-compiled binary file (firmware) below.
If you’re interested in the source to these files, they can be found on github:
- In ESP8266Flasher.exe, select the relevant COM port for your setup. You may have to disconnnect/connect the USB to see what port to select. (It will appear/disappear from the dropdown menu when you plug and unplug the USB).
- Navigate to where you saved the .bin file by clicking the gear icon. Usually these tools work best with directories/paths without any blank spaces in the path.
- Match the settings abvoe on the “Advanced” tab.
- Go back to the “Operation” tab and click Flash.
- After a minute or so, the device will be flashed. The progress bar will fill accordingly. You can also see the blue LED on the device flicker as data is transferred. Once transfer is complete, disconnect from USB and re-connect the 5V power supply to your GBS board.
Don’t forget tha to re-connect to the GBSC you will have to access the wifi hotspot ‘gbscontrol’ from your phone, or computer, and use the default password of ‘qqqqqqqq’ (the letter ‘q’ repeated 8 times).
For initial setup, you may have to forget your existing networks if you’re having connection difficulties, as sometimes your phone or computer operating system will search-for, prioritize, and consequently connect-to devices that have an outgoing internet connection (as the GBSC obviously does not).